THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Finally!

Finally some real snow! It has snowed here a few times this winter, but nothing to get really worked up about. But last night, it really started snowing and has been on and off all day today. I started to feel sorry for Carter because he doesn't really know what snow is and I had to teach him what it is when he was watching Tigger and Pooh. Last night, as he was eating dinner and looking out the window, out of nowhere, he said, "Snowy". Yes, I knew it, my child IS brilliant. I guess I have the Disney channel to thank for this one.

On days like today, I really like to throw a few things in my crock pot and come home to the magic of an already cooked meal. Here is one of my favorites:

White Chili
Put the following into the crock pot and set it on Low for 10 hours or High for 6.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (11oz) corn
1 can (15-16 oz) great northern beans, drained
1 can (15-16 oz) butter beans, drained
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (it depends on how much meat you want in the chili)

That's it! It's so easy and super-yummy! It's a bit spicy and I am sure there are tons of spice variations that can go into this. We like to eat it with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top. This recipe isn't as thick as a usual chili, but it's a big hit with my family. Let me know if you have a White Chili recipe- I'd love to try a new one. Have fun in the "snowy"!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Ok, I'm not as enthusiastic about the snow as you are! I like to watch it fall but I HATE to drive in it. We got a nice snow here too but thankfully it didn't stick. We try to let Colin look outside and see the snow but he's too busy trying to eat the blinds! Your white chili recipe sounds yummo. I love crockpot recipes too so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and I'm so excited about your blog.
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Hi Court! So good to read about what's going on with you and more importantly (ha!) little Carter! There's just something so special about little boys, isn't there? Man, he looks a lot like Brandon! When are you coming to Lex. again? We hope to see you soon. Thanks for that recipe! How many chicken breasts is two pounds? Have you ever used canned chicken? I guess that might get a little tough because it's already cooked...it would be better to use fresh uncooked chicken, don't you think? Talk to you soon! love you---allison.

Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney! The blog looks great and what a cutie Carter is. We have a little boy who will be 2 on 6-14-08! We were both pregnant at the same time! Sounds like you guys are doing great. Looking forward to keeping up with you a little better! Lori Peterson

melinda said...

Hey Courtney! I'm gonna fix white chili tomorrow too. I'll share my mom's recipe since you asked. I never liked it until after I had my first baby and she brought some over, and now I can't get enough. It's spicy too. Hope you guys are well....Carter is adorable!

Ingrediants:
1 medium onion and 2 garlic cloves chopped and sauteed in olive oil until tender (I use minced garlic!)
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it hot, I don't put this in)
1 tsp salt
40 oz chicken broth
48 oz jar Great Northern beans
4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (I sometimes use less)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups Colby Jack shredded cheese

Bring all ingrediants to a boil except the cheese. Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer 30-45 minutes. Garnish w/dallop of sour cream and/or chopped green onion or chives.

Serve with cornbread if your tastebuds desire.

Michelle Stockton said...

Hi Court! I am so excited you have entered the world of blogging! It has truly helped me in my spiritual journey. Love and miss you! Michelle

Crystal said...

I checked out your blog. What a cool idea. I hope you and your's are doing well. Carter is such a cutie. Have a good week and maybe someday we can get together again.
Crystal